Open source Bodies-Spaces
It is generally taken for granted that body and space are material entities that preexist movement and change: this is part of a long platonic tradition that attempts to fix the movement of reality in traceable patterns, a foundation of contemporary control society.
Metabody proposes to rethink both space and body as process of becoming that emerge from movement relations thus placing the emphasis in the plasticity of the world and our own capacity to intervene in how certain power operations craft our field of relations.
INTERNATIONAL METABODY FORUM AMSTERDAM 2014
INTERNATIONAL METABODY FORUM – IMF 2014 – AMSTERDAM
Crafting the Metabody:From Hands-on to Bodies-on, intra-action and transdisciplinary mappings.
From December 8 to 14, STEIM is hosting the international MetaBody Forum 2014, as part of the MetaBody project, a 5 years EU-funded project which started in July 2013.
In this week, the partners in the project will collaborate in a group residency, bringing together their
various concepts, knowledge and tools to produce a collaborative prototype for the eventual
outcome of the project – a transformative, mobile architecture, that will seek to open perceptions,
relations, movements and beahiours up to indeterminacy.
During the week, the partners will transform all of the STEIM studios into a space of
metaformances, bodily experiences and transformative architectures.
- The outcome of this week-long residency will be presented:
- Saturday, December 13, from 14:00 to 17:00
- Saturday, December 13, from 20:00 to 23:00
- Sunday, December 14, from 14:00 to 17:00ç
This presentation will include presentations on the theoretical background, as well as critiques on
the technology used, and discussions between the partners and visitors.
On Wednesday, December 10, from 20:00 we are hosting an evening on:
Expression through Movement and Music – opportunities for other-abled bodies
The evening will present two projects from the MetaBody partners:
Affording Difference – Different Bodies / Cultures / Expression / Abilities
Working together to create electronic music instruments to improve quality of life.
About the MetaBody project:
MetaBody addresses the importance of non verbal communication and embodied
expressions for cultural diversity as a fundamental form of cultural heritage.
Current information technologies induce forms of homogenisation of non verbal
expressions while subjecting people to an increasing control, thus undermining fundamental
freedoms. This empoverishment of cultural expressions on a global scale is undermining
diversity and civil rights while expanding the possibilities for ubiquitous and invisible
The MetaBody project seeks to address this problem, elaborate a critique and propose
alternatives through the production of new kind of media that highlight the diversity of
embodied expressions, bodies and contexts, foregrounding cultural diversity. New
multidisciplinary or transdiciplinary communication platforms will be developed in the
convergence of the arts (dance, music, architecture and visual arts), and social minorities with
the mediation of technosciences and humanities.
The core partners in the MetaBody project are:
- Spain – Asociación Transdisciplinar REVERSO – Jaime del Val
- Italy – Infomus -Universitá di Genova – Antonio Camurri
- Germany – Trans-Media-Akademie – HellerauThomas Dumke
- UK – DAP_Lab – Brunel University – Johannes Birringer
- France – K-Danse – Jean Marc Matos
- Netherlands – STEIM – Marije Baalman
- Portugal – Fabrica de Movimentos – Alberto Magno
- Germany – Palindrome – Robert Wechsler
- Spain – Universidad Autónoma de Madrid – Eva Botella-Ordinas & José Luis carles
- Spain – Instituto STOCOS – Pablo Palacio & Muriel Romero
- Netherlands – Hyperbody Research group – Dr. Nimish Biloria
- Germany – IMM Group – Bernd Schaedlich
During the week we are joined by some of our associated partners: