INTERNATIONAL METABODY FORUM – IMF 2017 MADRID
Metamedialab / Ontohacklab & Multiplicity University
Workshop, laboratory and public presentations: round tables and metaformance (installation-performance with focus on the participant’s perceptual experience)
Minoritarian ecologies and perceptions in the Algoricene – Metatopia 4.7
April 24-27 – Shooting of Wonder Wander with ShuLea Cheang
April 28 – Master class at ETSAM
November 27 to December 3, 2017 at the Medialab Prado auditorium – Madrid
Defying technological control with the body – interview with Jaime del Val in Radio3 – Siglo XXI: http://www.rtve.es/alacarta/audios/siglo-21/siglo-21-delorean-27-11-17/4327601/ min 37’55
Interview to Jaime del Val in Medialab Radio – https://www.m21radio.es/podcast/la-serreria-digital/la-serreria-digital-30112017
Picture Gallery of the Forum:
Shooting of Wonder Wander with ShuLea Cheang
Antismart architecture and neurodiverse futures in the Big Data Era
In a society more and more like Matrix, of increasingly immobile and isolated bodies mediated by interfaces that track, calculate, predict and orient increasingly minimal movements and future desires, connected to a Big data cloud that consummes astronomical amounts of energy… in this apparent utopia but in fact perhaps distopia of a “smart” world, how to design an architecture of the future and present which is not oriented to controlling, predicting and anticipating our actions? How to promote an ethics of technology for contestable futures? How to reintroduce in our behavioural architectures a more multifaceted, irreducible, multisensory body in motion, for sustainable and open ecologies to come?
These and other queerstions will be dealt with through public presentations, round tables, installations-performances, workshops and laboratories between 27th November and 3rd December in Medialab Prado, Madrid. Coordinated by the metamedia artist, metahumanist philosopher and postqueer activist Jaime del Val and hir organisations Reverso and Metabody, nomadically based in Madrid, the Metabody Forum arrives in Madrid after a year of international events in 6 countries of Europe and Latinamerica, including a creative process with Refugees in Lesvos, and the start of tours in villages of Spain.
The event will introduce the interuniversitary network Meta-architectures, critical debates on Big Data culture, the Algoricene, antismart futures and neurodiversity, including a new version of the Metatopia environments, meta/performative actions in the streets and one to one experiences of perceptual ontohacking.
The Algoricene proposes an analysis of the processes by which a control culture based on producing a type of calculable reality has arisen and has become dominant, from ancient times to the explosion of emergent algorithms in times of Big Data, articulating algorithmic perceptual and relational ecologies, which forergound the reduction of movements to step-by-step commands.
These ecologies coexist in more or less conflictive ways with other minority ecologies that are possibly irreducible to the notion of the algorithm and that urgently need to be valued. The workshop aims to address these ecologies from neurodiversity, and other concepts of cultural, sexual, cognitive and behavioral diversity. To do this, we will work collectively with intra-active Metatopia environments, as non-functional environments, of non-causal movement.
Metatopia is the platform of interactive / intra-active environments that proposes a valorisation of perceptual ecologies diverse to the dominant ones in Algoricene. Metatopia is a creation platform based on physical and digital structures of non-Cartesian, non-perspectival perceptual architectures that explores multiple alternatives of perceptual ecologies, it is a metamedia metaformance environment for mobilising openended transmodal sensory relations.
How to promote movements that do not tend to algorithmic reduction in the context of environments that are both analog and digital?
The activity is part of the International Forum Metabody – IMF 2017 and the subproject Algoricene and will occupy a whole week the auditorium of Medialab Prado with 3 axes of activities:
- Creation and research laboratory, interrelating theoretical issues, practices and techniques, with Metatopia 4.7 environments as an experimentation platform.
- Workshop open to inscriptions via Medialab Prado.
- Public presentations: round tables and installations-performances.
It has three main thematic axes:
• Algoricene: genealogies, beyond the panopticon in the Big Data era
• Meta-architectures and presentation of the Intertuniversity Network of Emergent Space Ontologies.
• Meta-therapies and neurodiverse environments – metagaming, metaformance, metaffordances, intra-action. Environments to value cognitive, expressive and motor diversity.
All this taking shape in the development of a new phase of
• Metatopia 4.7 – the intra-active metagaming environments.
¿Do you want to take part in a research of the Metabody project?
¿Do you want to take part in a research of the Metabody project?
we look for people wanting to participate: all you will have to do is interact with the Metatopia environpents and aftewards answer some questions in an interview and discussion.
saturday 2nd december 10am to 8pm in Medialab Prado Auditorium – Plaza de las Letras – Madrid – presence requested all the time
If you are interested please write to firstname.lastname@example.org
PROGRAMME - Round tables, installation-performances, workshop, laboratory
Wednesday, 29th November, 19:00 – round table: Anti-smart architectures and future(s)
Presentation of the Interuniversity Network Meta-architectures, of Emerging Space Ontologies, with Emilio López-Galiacho (Nebrija University, Faculty of Communication and Art), Eduardo Roig (ETSAM), Ana Lozano (Full Inclusion Madrid), Cristina Palmese (architect) , José Luis Carles (UAM) and Jaime del Val. And Demo of Metatopia 4.7 with audience – Possible exit to street with metatopia structures.
Thursday 30th November, 19:00 – round table: Beyond the Panopticon in the Big Data Era.
• Presentation by Clara Boj : Databio and dataself, indentity explorations between networks, data and algorithms.
• Presentation by José Luis Lozano (Miguel Hernández University of Elche, Altea, Department of Art, and artist based in Granada): The modern Panopticon, a new model of society in the Big Data era.
• Presentation by Jaime del Val: The Algoricene: an ontological, critical and posthumanist genealogy of the Anthropocene – and Summary of the Forum Metabody 2017: Minor Ecologies in the Algoricene 1st Phase: Refugees, neurodivers @ s, indigenous, queers …
• Beyond the Panopticon in the Big Data era. – Conversation of José Luis Lozano, Jaime del Val, Rubén López Cano and participants. • And Demo of Metatopia 4.7 with audience – Possible exit to street with metatopia structures.
Friday 1st December, 19.00 – round table: Neurodiverse Futures
• Presentation of the research projects “Embodied narratives, emerging affordances and motor plasticity in Metatopia 4.0 environments” by Alicia Peñalba and Rubén López Cano, and “Metathepias and neurodiverse environments – metagaming, metaformance, metaffordances, intra-action” by Metabody with Jaime del Val and Marta Leirado,
• Dialogue with Mónica Lamberti on: “Cognitive-motor plasticity, accessibility and co-creation of the public space”.
• Dialogue with Soledad Arnau on: “To see oneself with different eyes: diversity, sexuality and cognitive plasticity.”
• and demo of the projects in the context of metaformance (installation-performance) Metatopia 4.7.
Saturday 2nd December, 19:00 to 21:00 – metaformance (installation-performance):
METATOPIA is an interactive and performative environment, ultraportable and nomadic, for outdoor and indoor, urban or domestic spaces, constituted by physical and digital architectures in constant transformation and movement, emerging and multisensory, designed both for public participation and for performances and dance. METATOPIA is an indeterminate space, in response to the predominant prediction and control architectures in the Big Data era. On this occasion version 4.7 is presented, as result of the developments developed during 2017 and in particular during the workshop-laboratory in Medialab Prado.
Sunday 3rd December 19’00 a 21’00 – OPTIONAL – TO BE ANNOUNCED – metaformance (installation-performance) Metatopia 4.7 – in the streets, squares nearby Medialab Prado – exit from the entraanc of Medialab.
In addition: from November 20 to 26 and from December 4 to 17: Met(Allo)genesis – (Metatopia 4.7.1) – Metaformance: experience of perceptual and ontological hacking (1 to 1 meetings with the public) – information and reservations to request a meeting / experience of metaformance in the Center Reverso / Metabody or in homes, write to email@example.com.
Between performance, shamanistic and medical practice, microsexual work and others, the metaformance of Jaime del Val / Reverso / Metabody proposes an intimate experience of ontoart: an experience of perceptual modification that hacks basic assumptions of reality, ontological presuppositions as the notions of extensive Cartesian space, of form, of distinction I-other or outside-inside or of anatomical body, in several phases and modalities:
• amorphogenesis: metagaming environment to experience non-Cartesian and amorphous spaces as extensions of the proprioceptive body.
• microsexes: antiperspectival machine to become a postanatomic body report of infinite indeterminate sexes.
• disalignments: movement techniques to blur the notion of predictable trajectory and become a swarm of expanded microsensations.
WORKSHOP: with participants registered through Medialab Prado call:
• Monday 27 November 19’00-21’00:
16’00-19’00: theoretical session: The Algoriceno – and optional presentation of the participants and their current projects.
19’00-21’00 – Workshop “Resonant Spaces” with Cristina Palmese.
• Tuesday 28 November -16’00-20’00: micromotion techniques Disalignments, possible exit to the street and “hunting of algorithms in the urban space” – joint session of Metatherapies laboratory and neurodiverse environments with Marta Leirado and people with cognitive, expressive or motor diversity. 19’00-21’00: Possible exit to street with metatopia structures.
• Wednesday 29 November -15’00-19’00:
Flexinamics architecture techniques, possible exit to the street – joint session with Nebrija University – “Inclusive Nebrija” on art, inclusion, different capacities and perceptions, other relations with space … – with Emilio López-Galiacho and Raquel Monje ( Nebrija University, Faculty of Communication and Art), Ana Lozano (Full Inclusion Madrid), Eduardo Roig (ETSAM). – Launch of the Meta-architectures network of emerging spatial ontologies.
• Thursday 30 November -15’00-19’00:
Metagaming – joint session of Metatherapies laboratory and neurodiverse environments with Marta Leirado and people with cognitive, expressive or motor diversity.
• Friday 1 December – 15’00-18’00:
Microsexos, postanatomic bodies and antiperspectival machines – techniques of perceptual hacking with the camera, and research with metagaming environments on “Embodied narratives, emerging affordances and motor plasticity in Metatopia 4.0 environments” with Alicia Peñalba and Rubén López Cano.
• Saturday, December 2 – 11’00-14’00 and 15’00-18’00:
Full day dedicated to Research on “Embodied narratives, emerging affordances and motor plasticity in Metatopia 4.0 environments” with Alicia Peñalba and Rubén López Cano.
• Sunday, December 3 – 11’00-14’00 and 15’00-18’00:
Improvisation with Metatopia environments, possible exit to the street, and research with metagaming environments on “Embodied narratives, emerging affordances and motor plasticity in Metatopia 4.0 environments” with Alicia Peñalba and Rubén López Cano.
LABORATORY: internal work sessions but open to those registered in the workshop and in some cases overlapping with it: Every day 11’00-14’00 and some evenings:
• development of a new version of Metatopia, 4.7, construction programming and metabotic environments
• Tuesday 28 afternoon, Friday 30 afternoon and Saturday 2 morning: sessions in people with functional diversity or neurodiversity will experiment with Metatopia environments. – Mediator: Marta Leirado. Project: Meta-therapies and neurodiverse environments – metagaming, metaformance, metaffordances, intra-action.
• Wednesday 29 afternoon: architecture and scenic arts students experience will experiment with metatopia environments to reflect on the notions of meta-architecture, part of the launch of the Interuniversity Network Meta-architectures.
• Friday to Sunday: Alicia Peñalba (University of Valladolid) and Rubén López Cano (Barcelona) will design a research on Metatopia environments, interaction and functional diversity: “Embodied narratives, emerging affordances and motor plasticity in Metatopia 4.0 environments ”
• collaborations with Mónica Lamberti and Soledad Arnau Ripollés on motor-functional diversity.
Open to: professionals and students of visual and digital arts, music, dance, stage, architecture, gaming, therapies, social work, people with functional diversity and neurodiversity.
Max. 30 participants.
Those registered may present their own research and creation projects related to the proposed topics.
The Workshop will explore theoretical and practical issues:
Theory: The Algoricene, Ontohacking and Radical Movement Philosophy
The notion of Algoricene proposes an alternative and complementary approach to the concepts of Anthropocene, Capitalocene or Chthulucene to understand the substrate of planetary transformation processes, proposing that underlying humancentric activity or capitalism, there may be algorithmic processes of collective perceptual organisation. From the ancient urban grids in Greece, through Renaissance perspective to the Big Data era we can see a first emergence, expansion and exponential acceleration of algorithmic processes that have generated an increasingly calculable world. Nowadays, the notion of algorithm undergoes a radical transformation when increasingly autonomous and emergent algorithms are implanted (which we propose here to call hyperalgorithms) whose logic is opaque even for the engineers who program them, who make autonomous decisions about more and more aspects of the world in which we live and which raise the need for a fundamental redefinition of ethical issues, of consent, of moral agency, which cannot be addressed by following the traditional frameworks of the traceable individual moral agency or property right.
This approach is transversal to all kinds of processes involving algorithmic models, both old and static as well as new and emergent, for example:
• issues of citizen participation – algorithmic ethics, citizenship and decision making: in a context of autonomous algorithms such as redefining the ethical decision-making frameworks? What role do body and perception have? Algorithmic incomprehensibility poses formidable ethical and ontological challenges that must be analyzed.
• urbanism and mobility: from the Hippodamian plan to the traffic control algorithms, from selfie to consumption or augmented reality, which algorithms and perceptual orientations shape the movement in the public space, and how to mobilize emerging movements not subject to capitalization?
• in the urban and building post-crisis era in Spain, how is architecture redefined as a reinvention of space ? and how to rethink the architectures of digital and perception?
• Interaction design – how to reintroduce a complex body in computing and digital architectures that defies the tendency to predict and modulate the behavior of intelligent environments?
Techniques and Practices of Ontohacking that are proposed as perceptual hacking proposals in the workshop:
• Disalignments – micromovement techniques
• Flexinamics – metaconstruction techniques – redefinitions of architecture as meta-architecture
• Amorphogenesis and metagaming – hacking simulation aesthetics – mobilizing alloceptive / propioceptive swarms – non-representational and non-simulation environments – intra-action and metagaming design – neurodiverse affordances – digital ontohacking.
• Metaformance and perceptual hacking techniques with surveillance cameras on the skin – antiperspectival machines – Microsexes and anatomical and functional hacking – postqueer techniques.
• Emilio López-Galiacho (Nebrija University, Faculty of Communication and Art), Raquel Monje (Nebrija University, Faculty of Communication and Art), Eduardo Roig (School of Architecture of Madrid (ETSAM), Ana Lozano (Full Inclusion Madrid)
• Clara Boj (artist based in Valencia, resercher and teacher in the university of Murcia)
• Marta Leirado, artist and therapist
• Alicia Peñalba – University of Valladolid
• Rubén López Cano – ESMUC (Barcelona)
• José Luis Lozano – Miguel Hernández University of Elche, Altea and artist based in Granada
• Monica Lamberti, lame artist
• Soledad Arnau, Specialist in feminism, philosophy for peace, bioethics and sexology. Degree in Philosophy (UNED). Co-founder and former coordinator of the Office of Independent Living (OVI) of the Community of Madrid (July 2006-January 2012). Lecturer
• José Luis Carles UAM (Music Department) and Cristina Palmese (Architect).