WORKSHOP: Metahuman Lab
METAHUMAN FUTURES FORUM LESVOS 2022
¿Can we Create a Liveable Future (for all life forms on Earth)?
Facing the Extinction Challenge.
FOR SYMPOSIUM GO HERE
From 25th to 29th in Skala Eressos, Lesvos, in between the Village and a land nearby, linked to local community and the fight against speculation and the queer community – EU project related workshop with students, local participants as well as international participants.
In the 2022 Metahuman Lab we were hosted by Ohana Ranch and collective living some days in the ranch and some in the village. In the morning we did movement excercises and “ontological therapy” sessions (of critical theoretical questioning of our basic assumptions and our participation in the Planetary Holocaust). We cooked vegan food together and in the afternoon we continued playing with Flexinamic structures at the beach, or walking and foraging, or visiting the Donkey centre, where we tried to help saving the life of the donkey Luna, who died in the last day of the workshop. At night on the last day we played with interactive projections at the village by the sea, and danced wildly in the last nights of Flamingo along the final days of the Women’s festival.
Pictures by Alison, Maria and Jaime
At the Metahuman Lab we explore we ways of being in the world that may help undo the planetary catastrophe that human dominion has created over the past 10 millennia. Challenging ruthlessly all forms of oppression, non-human and human, and their underlying concepts (of species, gender, race, ability, etc.) we confront the fact that it is the totality of forms of sedentary living and its related overpopulation emerging since the rise of farming that have created the extinction cycle that drags us along all other species.
The lab onto-hacks our most deeply rooted Human Supremacist assumptions and proposes experiential practices and techniques for rediscovering a lost moving-sensing body, which is the only means to undo our toxic ways of living and regain a symbiotic relation to the Earth and its 8,7 million species. From movements exercises based on proprioception, through flexinamic structures and interactive projections, to gathering food and collaborating with animal sanctuaries, this fully vegan event wants to resonate with the significant queer-animalist-ecologist-migrant-diverse community in Skala Eressou, for transforming our ways of living and regaining the dance of life.
The Original Affluent Society theory stemming from the 1960 in anthropology tells us that gatherers hunters lived and live better than sedentary cultures, and for 99% of its history of around 300.000 we lived only like that and we were just one million population: never accumulating, with egalitarianism and respect for other life forms and the environment, moving with the earth and its flows. All modes of oppression have appeared with accumulation and our devastating occupation of the earth with farming, agriculture and cities. But the Lab, building upon Del Val’s movement philosophy suggests that it is the gradual loss of movement in the Sapiens that lies in the roots of the problem. Regaining the moving body is key.
The workshop, part of the Metahuman Futures Forum 2022 Lesvos, proposes a ruthless reflection on the deepest problems of our times and their interrelated nature, problems that are vastly ignored in most existing forums and that we will summarise under the topic of Extinction: the current 6Th Great Mass Extinction, as the process caused by the dominant human way of living emerging over the past 10 millennia, at least since the birth of agriculture, linked to overpopulation, a devastating occupation of the Earth, slavery and extermination of every other life form (including many humans). It also proposes to launch practices that aim towards a deep transformation of the dominant ways of living: a metahuman mutation.
Metahumanism highlights and pushes further the inseparability of Queer, Vegan, Environmental, Migrant, Indigenous, Neurodiverse, and other movements and proposals for undoing the dominance of a devastating form of domination that erases diversity on Earth in all its forms, and unleashes a mass extinction that drags the dominant species into the abyss as well as threatens 8,7 million other species. It proposes a ruthless critique of Human Supremacy and change of ways of living by regaining a lost capacity to sense as a body and to vary our movements, for moving with the world and not against it, stopping to be The Plague. It will also address critical approaches to digital and algorithmic culture of surveillance and control. The reply is always in the BODY, sensing, moving with others, not against others, indeterminately.
The workshop will include:
- Ontological therapy: Philosophy and Theories on Trash-humanism (Extinction) and the Metahuman alternative (Planetary Health), for unding the roots of Human Supremacy, Extinction and the Planetary Holocaust,
- including disalignment modules for self-analysis of alignments with human supremacy dogmas (onto-therapy).
- Disalignments: Movement and perception exercises and improvisation techniques based on proprioception and non-conscious micro-movements, and voice, including different technologies of the Metabody project, involving dynamic portable architectures and interactive digital projections:
- Cooking VEGAN food together, as well as living together in the spaces for the week, exploring disaligned non-verbal modes of intra-action for a metahuman society to come, testing out the proposals of the Metahuman Alternative: https://metabody.eu/metahuman-futures/
- NOTE: EXCLUSIVELY VEGAN EVENT
- Ongoing improvisation and disaligned choral explorations of public space, city, beach, etc. as disaligned contemporary revival of the Dionysian chorus.
- Including walks and excursions in the surroundings for exploring symbiotic relations and gathering techniques and edible plants.s)
Worshop imparted by the non-binary metahuman philosopher-artist-activist Jaime del Val/ValJayK sharing ideas and techniques developed over 20 years and presented in over 30 countries.
Participants are also welcome to share their practices.
Inscriptions for the workshop here: metabody [at] metabody.eu – for local students, local participants (including refugees and other minorities) a well as internationalparticipants – important to stay for the five days.
We have discount prices for accomodation for participants.
With the Support and Sponsoring of Ohana Collective Queer Ranch and Rooms Lesvos – www.ohanalesvos.com
FULL PROGRAMME SOON. For a similar previous workshop see here: https://metabody.eu/khoros-dresden-2021/
The workshop will bring together theory and practice:
- a radical critique of the Trash-human “civilizatory” process of the past millennia, the toxic, atrophied way of living based on intensive urbanisation, exponential demographic multiplication (and its associated oppressive heterosexual regimes), ecosystem disruption, massive animal abuse and killing (Planetary Holocaust), human slavery and genocide of alternative, more sustainable human cultures, all of which is unleashing a mass extinction and a selfextinction; this implies onto-hacking all the deeply rooted fallacies of Human Supremacy through “ontological Therapies” and studies of alignments (systemic and personal);
- a radical Metahuman alternative grounded on a wide variety of movement improvisation, perception and ontohacking techniques developed by Jaime del Val in the Metabody project, regaining and reinvention of lost bodily capacities to sense, move and think in motion, relearning to move with the flows of the world, rather than against them, embracing indeterminacy, with a richer embodied experiences, regaining a sense of symbiosis and mutation, while stopping to be the Plague: voluntarily suspending reproduction and becoming disperse, naked, metasexual, vegan gatherers, again as one of the eight million species of the biosphere, contributing to biodiversity and the regeneration of the Earth, towards unheralded evolutionary variations.
- Just like Aristotle “invented” biology in Lesvos, as a relation to Nature based on categorising from outside, we propose to initiate, also in Lesvos, a reverse move of the entire Western and Aristotelian tradition: a metahuman r/evolution for renewing our capacity for immanently moving with the flows of the Earth and all its life forms, while ruthlessly challenging Human Supremacy in all its forms: a BI Body Intelligence revolution against the dominance of rationalisation and AI control dystopias. Indeed since 2010 Lesvos was already the place where the Metahumanist Manifesto was presented, and in 2014 and 2017 further metahumanist activities were done in Lesvos so this 2022 event is a new turn in the already existing metahuman relation to the island.
- This will imply a queer contemporary rebirth of the ancient Dionysian chorus, the nomadic group of dancing-singing bodies. The entire workshop will be a radical experiment of conviviality (including cooking vegan food, sleeping in the space, etc.) based mainly on experimental non-verbal interactions and micromovements, as well as involving instances of improvisation outdoors in the streets and beach, opening the process up to other people beyond the group of participants, as well as doing slow, disaligned, multisensory walks in the surroundings focused on disperse foraging/gathering and radically symbiotic ways of dwelling in the ecosystem.
For all of these reasons the workshop specifically wants to support the movement Protovoulia Eressou fighting the urbanisations projects in Skala Eressos as well as the queer community and the refugee community of Lesvos.
PROPOSED READINGS summarising the coordinator’s philosophical proposal for the project – to expand and discuss during the event:
- Core reading:
- Del Val, Jaime. 2022. “Trash-Human Unhancement and Planetary Health. Undoing the Planetary Holocaust by Reinventing Movement and the Body: A Manifesto for Cosmic Response-Ability and the Future of Life”. Journal of Posthumanism 2 (1). London, UK:3-30. https://doi.org/10.33182/joph.v2i1.1876.
- On metahumanism:
ONTOLOGICAL THERAPY – HUMAN SUPREMACY TEST – that will be used as open draft during the event, for every daily group therapy session: https://metabody.eu/ontological-therapies-hst/
Funded by the European Union. Views and opinions expressed are however those of the author(s) only and do not necessarily reflect those of the European Union or the European Education and Culture Executive Agency (EACEA). Neither the European Union nor EACEA can be held responsible for them.